We’re advertising for an Administrator to help us with some of our society’s core tasks and to help with the running our 2019 Samhuinn Fire Festival.
- Contract title: Organisational Administrator, Beltane Fire Society Ltd
- Location: Edinburgh
- Fee: c£1500. Based on 166 hours at £9 per hour
- Duration: 1 June 2019 – 30th November 2019
The Beltane Fire Society (BFS) is a volunteer-run organisation that puts on two fire festivals each year in Edinburgh’s city centre, Beltane Fire Festival on 30 April and Samhuinn Fire Festival on 31 October. Both events offer a modern interpretation of the original Celtic festivals by celebrating the turning of the seasons with a vivid display of fire, drumming, and acrobatics.
We are looking for an Administrator to help us with the many and varied clerical, organisational and development tasks needed to make our society function, and make our festivals happen.
This role will put you at the centre of the day-to-day running of the society in the preparation for, and wind-down from our festivals. You’ll also have a a chance to be closely involved in the unique and welcoming community who work together to produce this spectacular event.
What does this role entail?
For most of the period, we don’t anticipate the workload being more than 3 hours per week. During the busy periods immediately before the run-up (Late August / Early September) and around the festival itself (Late October / Early November) where the workload could be considerable, up to 25 hours per week.
This role will also involve working occasional evenings (especially Mondays and Tuesdays), during festival run up in September and October.
- Office management – Ordering stationary, opening mail, filing paperwork appropriately.
- Leading Stores/Premises work – liaising with landlord, tidying, organising, putting bins out, maintenance. Reading meters in Beltonia on the first of each month for EMS system
- Ensuring the membership list remains up to date, and maintaining announcements list.
- Creation, distribution, gathering and processing of festival volunteer paperwork. This may involve attending evening Group Organiser meetings in September and October.
- Set up and coordination of working groups – welfare, festival operations, safeguarding etc.
- Booking rooms for meetings
- Compiling data from the surveys and assisting in creation.
- Prepare draft BFS timelines for board review
- Updating board and Group Organiser calendars
- Administration of Group Organiser application submissions.
- Maintaining policies and processes – building schedule so board regularly review them
- Liaison with any tenants we end up having
- Merchandise coordination.
- Responding / tracking correspondence on key issues to ensure replied to promptly.
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) paperwork coordination – preparing timeline, processing board candidate applications, running AGM admin (inc voting slips etc)
- Scouting for any potential funding opportunities
- Proof reading / checking fundraising apps.
- Basic research on topics as requested by board.
- Administrating poster submissions.
- Compiling Group Organiser, Court and Blue Feedback for the Board to send out, based on decisions of selection committees.
- Ensuring Group Organiser Pack is well formatted and available to Group Organiser
- Assisting sysadmin with group email setup.
Who are we looking for?
Ideally, applicants should have some knowledge of Beltane Fire Festival and provable organisational skills. The society is currently aiming to develop sub-committees so that more of our volunteer membership are involved in the running of our festivals; as such, any relevant leadership and development experience would be extremely desirable.
- Self motivated, since working alone from time to time.
- Ability to manage own schedule, including occasional evening work.
- Flexible, with a willingness to learn new skills
- Strong organisational skills.
- IT skills: ability to use Google Drive, spreadsheets and electronic documents.
- Ability to respect confidentiality
- Good interpersonal skills for working with a variety of people
- Familiarity with the Beltane Fire Society, and its two festivals
- Development / Project management experience, especially as relates to coordinating groups of volunteers to achieve tasks.
If you are interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and please note that all submissions should be sent electronically to email@example.com.
Interviews expected to be held the week beginning 1st April 2019. When applying please state if you are not available any day or evening that week.
Deadline: Sunday 31st March 2019, 10pm
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website address: www.beltane.org