Beltane Fire Society (BFS) is charity and a community of artists, makers, performers and production-types that stages huge fire festivals in the heart of Edinburgh. We’re run by a small board of volunteer trustees who steer our beautiful beast of an organisation – and we’re on the hunt for a few extra hands to join them and help out.
What would you be doing?
Our volunteer trustees focus take on a range of key responsibilities, and meet on Mondays roughly once a month, with some ad hoc meetings and work between times. You’d be focusing on:
- Overseeing, safeguarding and planning for the future of the Beltane Fire Society and our aims
- Setting out the framework that allows our events to happen – from planning timelines to overseeing our stores and office, and from writing policies through to selecting contractors
- Keeping an eye on finances – approving budgets and looking for new income sources
- Making sure BFS complies with all the laws and requirements we must – from health and safety to equalities, and from submitting annual accounts through to council negotiations
- Working to make BFS the best place to volunteer that it can be – from supporting skill-sharing through to coordinating blethers and resolving community issues.
Who are we looking for?
Ordinarily trustees are elected each year at our AGM, but as a board we can add to that number through the year by ‘co-opting’ new trustees, if we feel there’s a need. We are currently looking to co-opt new trustees to the board from late October until the next AGM (July 2018).
We are looking for a couple of additional trustees who care deeply about our community, events, or charitable aims, have a few hours to spare each week and are keen to get stuck in and help in any way they can. Anyone with relevant skills and background is welcome to apply, although we are particularly keen to recruit more expertise around one or some of the below:
- Good understanding of health and safety legislation and requirements
- Experience and skills in fundraising and income generation
- Expertise in working with and supporting volunteers
- Experience in organising large events, in particular production/tech backgrounds
- Backgrounds in charity governance, legal and property issues
This would be a voluntary position, however all reasonable expenses carried out in the line of your role will be reimbursed in line with our expenses policy.
Let us know if you’re interested…
If you are interested in joining the board or wish to find out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 October – we’d love to hear from you.